Whole Foods makes their own sausage fresh, I kindly asked the girl behind the counter to remove it from the casings so I could crumble cook it in a skillet. (b/c who wants to do that in their kitchen, gross)
I found the recipe via Pinterest from the Reluctant Entertainer but made a few changes.
Recipe: Sausage and Peppers Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen
- 4 large bell peppers (I like to use a combination of red and green), cut in large strips
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in large slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I forgot to add these and didn't notice)
- good pinch salt and pepper
- good pinch or two of dried oregano (also left this out on accident)
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (you could use Italian chicken or turkey sausage as well) (I only used 1.25 lbs and it was plenty)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce (I used Newman's Own Tomato and Basil sauce)
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
Instructions (these are my instructions if you're using sausage still in the casings - follow her recipe linked above)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large glass baking dish, add peppers, onions, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss until all the vegetables are coated in the olive oil.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until vegetables are soft and sausages are cooked through.
- I just cooked the veggies in the oven and cooked the sausage in a skillet while the pasta cooked
- Boil the water and cook the pasta according to the package.
- When the sausage is cooked, drain it on a paper towel then add the sausage back to the pan with the tomato sauce, add the veggies from the oven, and serve over the pasta once it's been cooked and drained.
- I also added a little shredded mozzarella cheese and some red pepper flakes (we like stuff spicy)
- Serve alongside french bread and wine!